Shannon Hougham worked as an intervenor for Deaf-Blind Adults through the Canadian National Institute for the Blind from January 1979 to October 1979. During the same year she became an Instructional Assistant for the Physically Disabled at VCC.
Shannon was also a volunteer coach for the BC Blind Track and Field Team from January 1981 to December 1984.
Shannon became an Interpreter and tutor for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing from 1991 to 2000 with the Vancouver School Board.
From April 2000 until her retirement in 2016, Shannon was instructor of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
In 2007, Shannon became Department Head for the Program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Adults. She served 2 three year terms.
- IN addition to her tireless work with the department, Shannon was also Chair of the Disability Resource Network (DRN) Awards Committee. 2011 – 2014
- Member of the lower mainland’s Council of Service Providers for D/deaf and hard of hearing individuals from infancy to adults, 2008 – 2013
- Trustee on the Jericho Hill Legacy Trust Board, 2008 – 2015
- Chair of Jericho Hill Legacy Trust, 2011 – 2015
- Member of the Board of the Western Institute for Deaf and Hard of Hearing, 2008 to 2010.
We will miss you Shannon